Everything You Need To Know
With the way that technology has been rapidly changing these days, you may be having second thoughts about an item you purchased at the ever-popular electronics retailer, Best Buy. Today’s high-performing laptop can become yesterday’s clunker in a matter of weeks. Or, maybe you’ve decided to go with a smaller tv in your home. For these reasons and more, the Best Buy return policy can be a real lifesaver when it comes to staying plugged in and staying current (pun intended).
One of the hidden secrets for those looking to stay on top of trends is that by using your credit card’s return protection, you can extend the flexible Best Buy return policy when you’re still wondering whether you want to bring your new device back to the store. Combined with the indispensable app Sift, you can automatically keep track of how much longer your items may be returned for. Read on and discover the Best Buy return policy can be one of the most generous ways to get what you want, even if you didn’t it right the first time.
Best Buy’s Return Policy – How Does It Work?
Best Buy’s return policy has a standard return policy of 15 days from the date of purchase. Items eligible for a full refund and exchange with a receipt; without a receipt, the item can be exchanged. For items like cell phones and devices that require activation, the return period is 14 days. Finally, wedding registry items are available for return within 60 days of purchase.
Bear in mind that cellphone and devices that require activation are subject to a $35 restocking fee.
Drones, DSLR cameras and lenses, mirrorless cameras and lenses, rideable and special order products are subject to 15% of the item purchase price. There is no restocking fee for unopened merchandise that is both purchased and returned in the following states: Alabama, Colorado, Hawaii, Iowa, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, and where prohibited by law.
Best Buy’s Return Policy w/ My Best Buy Elite or Best Buy Elite Plus
If you’ve signed up with My Best Buy Elite membership, the standard return policy extends to 30 days.
However, if you’ve signed up for Best Buy Elite Plus membership, you can extend the standard return policy to 45 days from the date of purchase.
(Note: With Elite and Elite Plus memberships, cellphones and devices that require activation are still only valid for return within the original 14-day period; wedding registry items also are available for only 60 days).
When it comes to returning an item to Best Buy, you have 3 options:
- Return in Store
- Return by Mail via Carrier of Your Choice
- Use a Best Buy Prepaid Label
Best Buy prepaid labels allow customers to pay nothing up front by following the instruction for printing a Prepaid Return Label. More info here. (note: the return shipping fee may be deducted from your refund.)
Considerations and Exclusions to the Best Buy Return Policy
Of course, not every item is handled the same by the Best Buy return policy. Here’s an overview of exceptions and special cases that you must take into account before :
- Apparel: Clothing can be returned that has the original tags and has not been worn or laundered.
- Best By Express, Best Buy For Business, Best Buy Education: Items purchased through these programs are eligible for returns in-store.
- Bundle or Promotional Discount Items: If you return an item as part of a bundle or promotional discount (even if it, not the entire purchase), Best Buy will reimburse you for what you do return, minus the value of the discount/freebie.
- Custom Orders: Non-returnable.
- Final Sale and Nonreturnable Items: All Final Sale items are nonreturnable. Including completed services, custom orders, digital content, prepaid cards, gift packaging, memberships, opened consumable items (i.e batteries).
- Gifts: Items returned as gifts will be refunded in store credit for in-store returns. Gifts returned via mail will credit and notify the purchaser.
- Missing Packaging or Accessories: Returns can be processed minus a nonrefundable deduction if you are missing some of the original packaging or accessories.
- Software, Movies, Music and Games: Opened items can only be exchanged for an identical item.
- Wedding Registry Items: Items eligible for return must be linked to the Registry at the time of purchase to receive the 60-day return period (vs. the standard 15 – 45 day period, based on membership status).
[For more information about the Best Buy return policy, click here. ]
Credit Card Return Protection
If you’ve missed the return window outlined in the Best Buy return policy, you still may be covered by your credit card’s return protection. Suppose, Best Buy refuses to accept your return because you’ve missed the return window. Your credit card may be able to help you get a refund as a statement credit back on the credit account you used to make the original purchase. Of course, you’ll have to file a claim process, but you should be able to have your return window at least doubled via your credit card.
While this may seem great, one of the problems of taking advantage of credit card return protection is keeping track of your purchases and the extended return window, as well as taking the time to manually file a claim. Luckily, there’s a solution:
Sift can help you manage your credit card purchases and how long you have before the extended return window runs out. Sift also initiates the claims process, making it more efficient for your busy lifestyle.