If you are a fan of crossword puzzles, you might have come across the clue “Aids for stage crews” in the New York Times crossword puzzle on January 6, 2023. This clue might have stumped you for a while, as it is not very obvious what the answer is. In this article, we will explain how to solve this clue and what the answer means.
What are aids for stage crews?
First of all, let’s understand what the clue is asking for. Aids for stage crews are tools or devices that help the people who work behind the scenes in a theater or a concert. They are responsible for setting up the stage, managing the lights and sound, moving the props and scenery, and ensuring that everything runs smoothly during the performance. Aids for stage crews can include things like headsets, walkie-talkies, scripts, cue cards, and more.
What is the answer to the clue?
The answer to the clue “Aids for stage crews” is CUESHEETS. A cuesheet is a document that lists the cues or signals that tell the stage crew when to do certain actions, such as changing the lights, playing the music, or lowering the curtain. Cuesheets are usually prepared by the stage manager or the director, and they are essential for coordinating the timing and synchronization of the show. Cuesheets can be written on paper, displayed on a monitor, or even spoken through a headset.
Why is this a tricky clue?
This clue is tricky for several reasons. First, it is a cryptic clue, which means that it does not directly describe the answer, but rather uses wordplay or deception to hint at it. In this case, the clue uses the word “aids” to mislead the solver into thinking of something that helps or assists, rather than something that indicates or instructs. Second, the clue is a homonym clue, which means that it uses a word that has more than one meaning or pronunciation. In this case, the word “cues” can be pronounced as “kyooz” or “kweez”, and the latter is the correct one for the answer. Third, the clue is a plural clue, which means that it adds an “s” to the end of the answer, even though the singular form is more common. This can make the solver doubt their answer or look for a different word that fits the clue better.
How to solve clues like this?
To solve clues like this, you need to use some strategies and techniques that can help you crack the code. Here are some tips that can help you:
- Look for the definition part of the clue. This is usually the first or the last word of the clue, and it gives you the meaning or the category of the answer. In this case, the definition part is “Aids for stage crews”.
- Look for the wordplay part of the clue. This is usually the rest of the clue, and it gives you the way to construct the answer from the letters or words in the clue. In this case, the wordplay part is “Cuesheets”.
- Look for indicators or connectors that tell you how the wordplay works. These can be words like “for”, “by”, “with”, “from”, “in”, “on”, etc. that link the definition and the wordplay parts. In this case, the indicator is “for”, which means that the answer is made of the word “cues” followed by the word “sheets”.
- Look for synonyms or abbreviations that can replace the words in the clue. These can be words that have the same or similar meaning, or words that are shortened or abbreviated forms of the original words. In this case, the synonym is “cues”, which means the same as “signals” or “indications”.
- Look for homonyms or anagrams that can change the spelling or the order of the letters in the clue. These can be words that have different meanings or pronunciations, or words that are rearranged or scrambled forms of the original words. In this case, the homonym is “cues”, which can be pronounced as “kyooz” or “kweez”.
- Look for plurals or singulars that can change the number or the form of the words in the clue. These can be words that have an “s” or an “es” added or removed, or words that have a different ending or suffix. In this case, the plural is “cuesheets”, which has an “s” added to the end of the word.
By using these strategies and techniques, you can solve clues like “Aids for stage crews” and enjoy the challenge and the fun of crossword puzzles. According to Try Hard Guides, the solution to the Aids for stage crews crossword clue should be: CUESHEETS (9 letters). If you want to check out more clues and answers from the New York Times crossword puzzle, you can visit the websites of NYT Crossword Answers, NYT Mini Crossword Answers, or Daze Puzzle. Happy solving!